I’ve been out of shape for a long time. So out of shape that I would huff and puff going up the stairs at home. It was pathetic and I needed change. I want to be around to see my son grow up and have his own family and the way I was going, my health was certain to slowly decline. About a month ago, I got a membership to 24 Hour Fitness with the intention of making exercise something constant in my life. I am proud to say I’ve already noticed an improvement. While I’ve only lost two pounds on the scale, I’ve noticed that everyday activities don’t wear me out. I can play with my son more than a minute without having to take a break. While it is exciting to see the number on the scale decrease, it doesn’t beat the feeling of accomplishment and how I feel every time I work out. I love feeling the burn. I love breaking a sweat. I love that my husband also got a membership and we encourage each other to not skip workouts. It’s been a wonderful thing for us.
Is it hard to muster up the energy to go sometimes? You betcha. But once I get in the car and drive there, I’m already over it and ready to do my thing! I will admit, there are some things that motivate me more than others.
1. Shopping for workout clothes! I love to shop and when I got my gym membership, I knew that meant cute new workout clothes and shoes were on my “to shop for” list. Here are my workout essentials:
2. Watching the calories disappear right before my eyes! I like instant gratification and I set a “calorie” goal for each workout. I watch the number every minute to see my progress and once I’ve reached that magic number, I feel satisfied.
3. Noticing that my smaller clothes fit better. This one speaks for itself. The better my clothes fit the more I realize that I am losing weight. This also hopefully means more shopping for smaller clothes in the near future!
4. A good workout playlist! I LOVE music and there’s nothing like working out to great pump-up music! Here are some of my current favorites:
Radioactive - Imagine Dragons
Feel so Close - Calvin Harris
Scream and Shout - Britney Spears
Burn it Down - Linkin Park
Lolli Lolli - Three 6 Mafia
Wop - J Dash
5. People Watching- Whether it’s the body-buliding meatheads with mullets showing off how much they can lift as they groan and grunt or the eye-candy (yes, I’m married, but it’s okay to look, DH does too!), there is always SO much entertainment at the gym (and not just the TVs)! It does get a little awkward the few times you’re “caught” and people make eye contact back at you. Ugh, I hate that.
I’ve been going to the gym about 2-3 times a week now, only because it is my busy season at work. My latest goal is to up that to 4 times a week in June and 5 times a week by July. I have also been eating better by drinking green smoothies and watching my portions. I’ve made it such a habit to eat less and now I feel full after half of the amount I did a month ago. This method also allows me to indulge a little without over-doing it.
After one month of working out, I am very proud of myself and feel amazing.I started off at 152 pounds and am now 150. My goal weight is 125. I know I am completely capable of achieving this by increasing my workouts and continuing to eat better. I look very forward to seeing my continued progress and feeling even better!
Do you have a workout routine? What are your good habits and tricks to stay motivated? Any advice?